The history of Sycamore Baptist Church is rich as it spans well over a 100 years. Sycamore Baptist Church was the first Baptist church organized in the Sycamore community. It was established in 1885. It first met in the Sycamore school building about 3 miles north of where the church now stands. There were 12 charter members and Uncle Sam Foster acted as the first pastor. The present building was built in 1897.
Sycamore Baptist Church has been blessed with 47 pastors, including our current pastor, Casey Lewis. At this time, the deacons are Biff Hayes, Mike Blankenship, Tom Goode, Kyle Green, and Ray Blankenship.
Through the years, many things have changed at the church. In 1941, electricity was installed and the basement was completed and dedicated. In 1954, the building was remodeled and the wood burning stove was replaced with butane heat. In 1959, the church went from part-time to full-time services.
Over the next five years, we added two classrooms. In 1968, a water well was dug and a bathroom installed. Our first salaried Worship Pastor also started in 1968. The church staff now consists of a Senior Pastor, Worship Pastor, and Youth Pastor.
In 1972, the church bought 1 acre of land, bringing its total existing property to 3 acres. Between 1973 and 1975, we added carpet, stained glass windows, and central heat and air to the building. In 1978, a small kitchen was added in the basement. Since then, Sycamore has installed a baptistry, new pews, and a lighted cross on the front of the building. A new addition was also built to provide more classroom space, a church office, a larger kitchen, a fellowship hall, and additional bathrooms. Also, a basketball/recreation court has been built and playground equipment added. In 2002, a parsonage was built on the property and an outdoor pavilion was added in 2010.
As Sycamore looks into the future, our goal will remain the same: To serve God with all our energy and resources; and shine as a light in our community and world.